Hey everyone and welcome to another edition of Riiip with Brody the Kid! Let’s have some fun!
Happy Holidays! It is a great time for a giveaway! I wanted to give away a prize to one of you for all of your support this year! All you have to do is send an email to email@example.com after you read this blog and tell me which of the 10 NFL players I list in my “under the radar” section you agree with most. Or tell me who I missed! Once you send me the email, I will enter you into the hat to win a blaster box of 2020 Topps Stadium Club Baseball! Happy Holidays, Happy New Year and thank you for supporting me all year!!!
Who is the top rookie WR? This is a very hot topic question, with many potential candidates. CeeDee Lamb has made some amazing catches. Henry Ruggs has made a couple of awesome catches for big plays. Justin Jefferson has been putting up a bunch of yards and touchdown grabs. Jerry Jeudy has also showed some great flashes. Chase Claypool was the Rookie of the Year favorite the first half of the season. This is a great WR class and will be interesting to watch these guys’ careers going forward.
Here are my rookies to look out for, who are under looked or underrated. Jalen Hurts topped this list for me but seems to finally be getting his chance in Philly after Carson Wentz has underperformed. His mobility will be a great asset as he gets used to the NFL game. I think he will have a really strong career. Jacob Eason was a great player in college and may have a nice chance for success replacing Philip Rivers who should be nearing the end of his career. Jake Fromm is a former UGA quarterback with a lot of talent and potential that may warrant a trade to a team looking for a young QB. James Robinson was undrafted and is one of the few positives the Jaguars have had this year. It will be fun to see more cards of him come out.
Who is the best team in football? Well, here is my Top 10 and my pick for an under the hobby radar player on that team whose cards you should be looking for:
- Kansas City Chiefs – Mecole Hardman, Jr.
- New Orleans Saints – Tre’Quan Smith
- Pittsburgh Steelers – James Washington
- Green Bay Packers – Jaire Alexander
- Los Angeles Rams – Darrell Henderson
- Buffalo Bills – Jake Fromm (future)
- Cleveland Browns – Donovan Peoples-Jones
- Miami Dolphins – Mike Gesicki
- Seattle Seahawks – Chris Carson
- Las Vegas Raiders – Johnathan Abram
NOW, who do you agree with most?! Or, who did I miss?? E-mail me and let me know!
The NBA Draft has gone down…finally! And the season is near! Here were the top 3 picks in the draft and my grade for those picks! I think all 3 will be huge cards to get in this year’s products.
- Minnesota Timberwolves – Anthony Edwards – A+. Edwards was the best fit for the T-Wolves with DeAngelo Russell and Karl-Anthony Towns already there. Edwards has the talent to be a superstar and may have a big impact in the hobby because I could see him competing and winning the dunk contest.
- Golden State Warriors – James Wiseman – B+. The Warriors were right with the position they looked at for help, but Wiseman only played 3 games in college. He has talent but it will be interesting to see what happens, The Warriors are title contenders but how long will it take Wiseman to establish himself?
- LaMelo Ball – Charlotte Hornets – B. The Hornets took Ball knowing he had shown some talent in high school and overseas, but LaMelo has yet to show that he is a consistently good shooter. If he can improve his shot, he does have the potential to be a superstar, but he will have to show it. If not, a solid 12 ppg, sixth man type will be his role. It will be fun to see what happens!
Let’s talk about protecting and storing your cards with UltraPro Supplies. UltraPro makes sleeves, toploaders, and one-touches for any size card you need. Their diamond corner design and UV protection make the one-touches awesome and the best move for keeping those huge hits safe! Their sleeves and toploaders are top quality and will keep your cards safe, too. Check out my latest episode of Hobby Life on YouTube to learn more or check out ultrapro.com.
Finally, I wanted to share some of what the manufacturers are doing to help try and get more kids into the hobby! Upper Deck has products like O-Pee-Chee and MVP which are relatively affordable for kids. They also recently posted a beginner’s guide to collecting on their blog which was a fun read that can help all new collectors understand Upper Deck products and what to look for (check it out here: https://www.upperdeckblog.com/2020/11/starting-your-trading-card-collection-a-quick-guide-to-collecting/ ). Topps produces kid-focused products like Big League and Opening Day that are cheap ways to get some packs and get cards into kids’ hands. They also have my favorite, the Topps of the Class program, which gets some free cards to kids that have a Local Card Shop. They also started a Future Stars subscription program this year for kids that gets you a fun assortment every month. It is sold out right now, but I hope they expand it for more kids soon. Panini is joining the fun in 2021 as well with their new Kids Crate! More details are upcoming, but the Kids Crate will be available to kids 14 & under only at your LCS and will include blaster boxes, mega boxes and assorted Panini swag! I can’t wait to pick up my first Kids’ Crate! Make sure to visit the manufacturers websites to find out more of what they have going on! www.upperdeck.com www.topps.com www.paniniamerica.com
Don’t forget to check out the next episode of Hobby Life on YouTube this Saturday 12/19 @ 6 PM Central. Join in the Live Chat and meet some other kid collectors and win prizes!
Thank you all for reading Riiip with Brody the Kid! I will see you again next month! Peace Out!
-Brody The Kid
Have a question? E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org